- Been thinking about the saying, “People overestimate what they can do in one year and underestimate what they can do in 10 years.” It’s so true. Most people take it and then ask, “Where do I want to be in ten years?” I’ve never been good at that exercise. I have no idea where God will lead us! But I’ve begun thinking a lot about what kind of person I’d like to be in 10 years and starting to make those changes today. I may not get there in a year, but in 10 I’ll hopefully be a lot further down the road!
- Jordan Fowler’s song “Make My Life a Bridge” stirs me up almost constantly. Its lyrics get stuck in my head at least once a month. It’s topic is a passion for me personally. It’s even the goal I see us heading toward in the small group work I’m a part of. I’ll call it my ‘life song’ if that’s not too over the top. The best part? He’s put a free downloadable version on his blog. It’s right here.
- It’s a beautiful day in Southern California. Wish you were here. I need to figure out how I can get outside and enjoy it!
- We had an awesome small groups kickoff Sunday night. The best part? When the night ended, most people didn’t get up to leave. They stayed at their tables, talking with their groups about the evening and plans for the future. It wasn’t anything I said, but that we gave our groups the majority of the time to share with each other. We can present ideas, but we live in an interactive culture. Amazing things happen when you just let people talk to and learn from each other. Find ways to give them that space.
- Want a good, unique book on leadership? Try Surfing the Edge of Chaos. It’s focused on business, but applies to so many areas. They apply natural systems theory to leadership. It’s great.